Additions and corrections:
International Conference on the History of Cartography
CONFERENCE BY CONFERENCE SURVEY
16th International Conference on the History of Cartography
16. Internationale Konferenz zur Geschichte der Kartographie
September 11-16, 1995 Wien (Vienna)
Held in the Austrian National Library, Austrian Academy of Sciences, and the Department of Geography of Vienna University, with principal coordinators Ingrid Kretschmer, Johannes Dörflinger, Franz Wawrik, Jan Mokre, Helga Hühnel, Elisabeth Zeilinger. Conference languages English, French and German.
Thematic sections are "Central Europe," "Eastern Europe," "Near East," "Relief Representation," "Varia."
There were six exhibitions:
Participants were provided with printed catalogs for all the exhibitions. There were also several receptions and visits, and post-conference excursions were a coach-tour to Krems, and a lengthy 6-day trip to Budapest and Prague, from Sunday, September 17 to Friday, September 22.
- "Cartographic Rarities of the `Woldan Collection'," at the University of Vienna Archives;
- "Das ist die Stat Wienn'. A Walk through Five Centuries of Vienna Urban Cartography," at the Historical Museum of the City of Vienna;
- "Relief Representation--From Simple Vertical (Profile) Methods to the Digital Relief Model," at the Federal Office of Metrology and Surveying;
- "Maps, Atlases and Globes of the Oldest Monastery in Vienna," at the Benedictine Abbey `Schottenstift';
- "Lower Austria in Old Maps," at the State Library of Lower Austria; and
- "Cartographic Treasures of the Austrian National Library," in the Oratorium of the ANL.
Two new special meetings as adjuncts to the conference were a meeting of the directors of Imago Mundi, and a round table on theoretical aspects of the history of cartography, chaired by Edward Dahl.
There were 47 papers plus 22 poster presentations, and there was an excellent accompanying abstracts book, which also includes substantial curricula vitae for all speakers and poster presenters, a very useful innovation (Ingrid Kretschmer, ed., 16th International Conference on the History of Cartography Vienna/Austria, 11-16 September 1995. Abstracts. Curricula vitae. Vienna, 1995 (111pp)). A festive concert held in the Austrian National Library closed the conference.